- The Guardian: Dizziness, headache, dry skin … how to spot heatstroke – and avoid it in the first place
- The Guardian: Windows closed? Windows open? What’s the best way to keep your home cool in the heatwave?
- Time: What Extreme Heat Does to the Human Body
Online CPD attestation for 2021 closes IN NINE DAYS. All Ordinary, Affiliate and Associate Members of the Caribbean Actuarial Association are required to do Continuing Professional Development. Please read the entire CPD Policy here then complete your attestation by logging into the members’ area of our website and selecting the appropriate button from the menu on the left of your screen.
Registration is now open for Convention A which takes place 19th-23rd September.The Programme includes content from Cathy Lyn and her Diversity team and much more. Special rates are available for actuview users. A free subscription to actuview is available to all our members. Please contact our Secretariat if you have not received, or have mislaid, your actuview access code.
Registration open for IABA’s 2022 Annual Meeting: Reunited. Reignited 11th-13th August
What else we’re watching & reading:
- The Actuary (SOA): An Emerging Risk in 2022
- The Actuary (IFoA): An end to underwriters? The challenges of machine learning
- Actuarial Post: Short in the dark
- ZDNet: US watchdog is worried cyber insurance won’t cover ‘catastrophic cyberattacks’
- EAA: e-Conference on Data Science & Data Ethics 2022 (actuview)
- IFoA: GIRO 2022 Call for Speakers deadline 27th July
- 57th Actuarial Research Conference 3rd-6th August Preview
- ASEA Actuarial Symposium 5th-6th August
- ALPFA 2022 Convention 7th-10th August – during which OLA will celebrate their 5th Anniversary
- SOA 2022 Life Meeting 23rd-26th August
- IFoA: Climate change curated library
- Pensions Expert: Hounslow Pension Fund combats ‘catastrophic’ climate change risk
- RGA: Climate Change and Life Insurance Implications (actuview)
- The Guardian: Nearly $2tn of damage inflicted on other countries by US emissions
- IFoA: Climate Risk and Sustainability Course 12th October –7th December
- UWI: Regional Award for The UWI’s virologist hero Professor Christine Carrington
- Actuaries Digital: While the uncertainty and challenges associated with COVID-19 may be subsiding, the final plenary of the 2022 All-Actuaries Summit highlighted that the next shock might be just around the corner.
- Actuarial Eye: Long Covid Update
- CNN: As Fauci warns monkeypox needs to be taken more seriously, former FDA commissioner says the window to control it ‘probably has closed’
- The Guardian: ‘Centaurus’: virologists express concern at new Covid subvariant
- NY Times: The Age of Distracti-pression
- SOA: Emerging Long Term COVID-19 Trends Webcast 28th July
- CAS: 2022 CAS Virtual Trunk Show – August Edition 3rd August
- SOA: Pandemics & Paradigm Shifts: ERM in an Intensely Dynamic World Webcast 31st August
Thought for Today:
- Global hunger toll soars by 150 million as Covid and Ukraine war make their mark
- Famine: what is it, where will it strike and how should the world respond?
- ‘Fonio just grows naturally’: could ancient indigenous crops ensure food security for Africa?
Let’s think more about the variety and abundance of Caribbean produce as international food supplies shrink.
Just for Fun:
- MindGames: Life Sudoku
Save the Date:
- International Conference on Inclusive Insurance 24th-28th October, scheduled for Kingston, Jamaica.
- ASSA 2022 Convention 25th-28th October
- 2022 SOA ImpACT Conference 26th-28th October
- AAA Annual Meeting: Envision Tomorrow 2nd-3rd November
- CAS Annual Meeting 6th-9th November
CAA CONFERENCE 2022 – 7th-9th DECEMBER – HILTON BARBADOS
- UCAS Flash Sale 18th-29th July
- SOA Future Actuaries Math Challenge win free entry to Candidate Connect event at the 2022 SOA Life Meeting
- SOA Exams
- CAS Fall Exams
- IFoA Exams
- CIA New Pathways
- The CAA’s Stephen Alleyne Memorial Scholarship
- McLaughlins & Actuarial Foundation’s Caribbean Actuarial Scholarship
- Andrew Long, Norbert Fullerton & IFoA Foundation’s Fullerton-Long Caribbean Scholarship
- Insurance Association of the Caribbean Scholarship
- Other UWI Scholarships & Bursaries
- Society of Actuaries and Casualty Actuarial Society Introduce Needs-Based Exam Reimbursement Pilot Program for Actuarial Candidates
- CAA Exam Refund Programme
The IAC’s Insurance Master Class: Pensions & Annuities with CAA Member Constance Hall has been postponed until October.
Did you miss our recent webinars Climate Change: Emerging Risks and Opportunities and Social Security: What Lies Ahead? Watch them anytime on our YouTube Channel.
Solving the Ageing Population Crisis in the Caribbean, with speakers including Derek Osborne, is available to watch on the Central Bank of Barbados’ YouTube channel.
Pdf presentations from the recent IAC Annual Conference may be downloaded here.
Early Bird Registration for The 2023 International Congress of Actuaries: Bridge to Tomorrow, which takes place in Sydney, Australia, is now open.
The IAA Bursary Congress Fund is available to provide some financial support facilitating the participation of interested candidates complying with the characteristics of the bursary selection process. Bursaries will be allocated at the discretion of the IAA Advice & Assistance ICA 2023 Bursary Task Force and may be for only part of the expected costs.
Your News Team: Mike, Pedro, Shubhash, Ashley & Betty
The information on this page does not necessarily reflect the opinions, standards or policies of the CAA. Data included in graphs has been obtained from several sources the accuracy of which cannot be guaranteed by the CAA. The CAA assumes no responsibility or liability for the accuracy or completeness of content contained in any linked site.