Have You registered yet for our Annual Conference from the 7th to the 9th December in Barbados?
On 25th October, John Robinson, present at the start of the CAA, will be inaugurated as President of the Society of Actuaries, the world’s largest actuarial body. Those who can, please register to attend the 2022 SOA ImpACT Conference in person from the 23rd to the 26th of October and show support for one of our Caribbean actuaries! There is also a virtual component, from the 26th to the 28th, for those who cannot attend in person. Drop us a line if you’ll be there in person.
Congratulations to member Ronald Poon-Affat on his recent Award from the Institute of Brazilian Actuaries in recognition of his outstanding work on growing the profession in Brazil! Parabens, Ronaldinho!
Last week President Simone Brathwaite and other senior CAA Members spoke at CAIR’s Annual Meeting to update them on our new committees, results of our latest IFRS 17 Survey, our ongoing Mortality Study and other items of interest to both organisations.
Continuing the series on The New Actuary, our Industry Growth Task Force interviewed Nikita Gibson, Chair of our Regional Issues Subcommittee. Read the interview here.
Recently, our Regional Issues Subcommittee teamed up with the Institute of Chartered Accountants of Barbados for a Special Newsletter on Barbados’ Social Security Scheme.
Did you miss the International Actuarial Association‘s recent Real-life Experiences of Standard Setting webinar with Birgit Kaiser of the German Association of Actuaries and the CAA’s Lisa Wade? The recording is now up on the IAA’s YouTube channel.
Videos from Convention A, the recent online Event for actuaries of all specialties, are now being uploaded to actuview. Sessions you might want to watch include:
- Simone Brathwaite, our President, joined Cynthia Egbunonu and Katherine Nylander to speak at IACA’s Diversity & Inclusion
- Diversity of Thought, Episode 13: Embracing Difference Without Discomfort with Cathy Lyn, Tonya Manning, Marjorie Ngwenya and the team.
- The IFoA Foundation has grants available and welcomes applications from charities, organisations or individuals that meet their criteria.
- The Actuary (IFoA): Exchange of ideas: IFRS 17 implementation in the Caribbean by Servaas Houben, a frequent speaker at our conferences
- FiX 2022: The Ultimate Fintech Experience, The Caribbean’s premier global fintech conference –in Barbados, ends today, 7th October.
- IAA: IAAHS Data-driven innovation in digital healthcare – 13th October
- CCA: Annual Meeting – 16th-19th October
- EAA: Whistleblowing – Practical Education for Actuaries – 24th October
- International Conference on Inclusive Insurance – 24th-28th October in Kingston, Jamaica
- ASSA 2022 Convention –25th-28th October
- Caribbean Association of Banks Conference – 25th-29th October in St. Lucia
The 2023 International Congress of Actuaries: Bridge to Tomorrow, takes place next year in Sydney, Australia and there are several ways to be involved:
So, do you think you can take a selfie? In celebration of the ICA2023 theme, Bridge to Tomorrow, there’s a competition! Take a selfie in front of your favourite bridge, and you could win two tickets to BridgeClimb Sydney or a Gift Voucher of equal value. Details Here.
The IAA and its partner actuview are pleased to announce the 1st Young Actuaries World Cup (YAWC). YAWC welcomes all actuaries and students under the age of 35 years old to create a short video expressing their views on how the profession can be advanced in the future along the journey on the Bridge to Tomorrow. The four finalists will compete for the championship title at the International Congress of Actuaries in Sydney. To learn more about this exciting initiative, visit the YAWC webpage.
Save the Date:
- AAA Annual Meeting: Envision Tomorrow -2nd-3rd November
- CAS Annual Meeting – 6th-9th November
- IFoA: GIRO Conference 2022 – 21st-23rd November
- Understanding Risk: UR22 – 28th November- 2nd December
- IABA Virtual Fall Career Fair 11th October
- CIA Education website launched
- ASA Pathway: Reduction of Exam Hours and Content
- IFoA Learning Change Programme
- University of CAS Online Learning Center
- IAA: Climate-Related Disclosures and Risk Management: Standards and Leading Practices – new paper
- Reuters: More than 20 countries agree to boost low-emission hydrogen output by 2030
- Bloomberg: Al Gore Calls Out ‘Greenwashing’ Risks as Funds Quit Green Club
- The Guardian: Bitcoin climate impact greater than gold mining, study shows
- The Guardian: Heat deaths, scorched trees and civil unrest: life on the climate frontline in 2022
- IAA(PBSS): Societal Risk: Climate Change, Sustainability & Biodiversity 12th Oct
- IFoA: Climate Risk and Sustainability Course 12th October –7th December
- Sustainable Innovation Forum: An inclusive, collaborative event enabling climate action at COP27 – 9th-10th November
- AP: the US to begin screening travelers coming from Uganda for Ebola
- The Guardian: Covid might have changed people’s personalities, study suggests
- Reuters: COVID raises risk of long-term brain injury, large U.S. study finds
- Time: Scientists Find a New Coronavirus in Bats That Is Resistant to Current Vaccines
- Bloomberg: WHO Raises Concern About Scale of Measles Outbreak in Zimbabwe
Thought for Today:
- Guardian Editorial: Pursuing crimes against humanity: a laborious yet urgent challenge
Just for Fun:
You Might Have Missed the following:
Videos are now online from The Virtual Island Summit, Sharing Knowledge For Resilient, Sustainable and Prosperous Islands Worldwide.
The New Actuary: Interview with Dr. the Hon. Nigel Clarke, Jamaica’s Minister of Finance and the Public Service, on our social media pages.
Barbados’ PM Mia Mottley recently spoke before the US House Committee on Financial Services onWhen Banks Leave: The Impacts of De-Risking on the Caribbean and Strategies for Ensuring Financial Access (3:41)
The Casualty Actuarial Society (CAS) and the Society of Actuaries Research Institute’s (SOA) Committee on Knowledge Extension Research (CKER) announce the2023 Individual Grants Competition to support the advancement of knowledge in actuarial science.
- Government of Barbados Press Briefing on the National Insurance Scheme with PM Mia Mottley, NIS Actuary Derek Osborne and others. (YouTube 1:47)
- Our NIS – The Way Forward (YouTube 1:57)
- NIS 17th Actuarial Review (pdf)
- Watch April’s Social Security: What Lies Ahead? and other past CAA webcasts on our YouTube Channel anytime.
- The SOA is seeking researchers to submit proposals on the topic of Ecosystem with Big Technology for Insurers.
- SOA Young Professional Advisory Council for SOA members within ten years of achieving their ASA.
- SOA Member Recognition Program – prizes offered to SOA volunteers include the option to donate US$25 to the Actuarial Foundation’s Caribbean Actuarial Scholarship.
Please visit our website and follow us on Facebook, LinkedIn, YouTube and Instagram.
Your News Team: Mike, Betty, Lindsay, Octavio, Pedro & Stokeley
The information on this page does not necessarily reflect the CAA’s opinions, standards or policies. Data included in the graphs have been obtained from several sources, the accuracy of which cannot be guaranteed by the CAA. The CAA assumes no responsibility or liability for the accuracy or completeness of content contained in any linked site.