On 25th October, John Robinson, present at the start of the CAA, will be inaugurated as President of the Society of Actuaries, the world’s largest actuarial body. Those who can, please register to attend the 2022 SOA ImpACT Conference in person from the 23rd to the 26th of October and show support for one of our Caribbean actuaries! There is also a virtual component, from the 26th to the 28th, for those who cannot attend in person. Drop us a line if you’ll be there.
Yesterday, the CAA held high level talks with the CIA. Topics discussed included the CIA’s new educational pathways and the possibility of future collaboration on matters of mutual interest.
See actuview for Videos from Convention A. Two in particular may be of interest:
- Simone Brathwaite, our President, joined Cynthia Egbunonu and Katherine Nylander to speak at IACA’s Diversity & Inclusion
- Diversity of Thought, Episode 13: Embracing Difference Without Discomfort with Cathy Lyn, Tonya Manning, Marjorie Ngwenya and the DoT team
Recently, member Wendy John, Head of Global D & I for Fidelity Investments, spoke to us in an interview with Mark Longman, the CAA’s DEI Chair. You can watch the recording on our YouTube channel. During the talk, Wendy shared Fidelity’s recent Diversity & Inclusion Report.
The International Conference on Inclusive Insurance takes place from the 24th to the 28th of October in Kingston, Jamaica.
The Caribbean Association of Banks Conference is being held in St. Lucia, 25th-29th October.
BIBA’s Global Business Week, online and in Barbados, from the 26th to 28th October. Speakers in include Stuart South.
To our members and friends celebrating the Hindu festival Divali: Wishing you good health and happiness as you light your deyas, a symbol of replacing ignorance with knowledge.
Interesting Reading & Watching:
- The IFoA Foundation has grants available and welcomes applications from charities, organisations or individuals that meet their criteria.
- AFIR-ERM ESG Survey 2022
- AFIR-ERM Actuarial and Risk Management Survey to support Pandemic Working Parties 2022-2024
- Actuview: Cyber Insurance: Insurability and Accumulation Scenarios
- KBRA: Hurricane Ian Impacts Material but Manageable for Insurers
- EAA: Whistleblowing – Practical Education for Actuaries – 24th October
- IAC: Cyber Security & Insurtech 26th October
- International Conference on Inclusive Insurance – 24th-28th October in Kingston, Jamaica
- ASSA 2022 Convention –25th-28th October
- Caribbean Association of Banks Conference – 25th-29th October in St. Lucia
- SOA: InsurTech Webcast Series – 31st October
- AAA Annual Meeting: Envision Tomorrow -2nd-3rd November
- EAA: Resilience for Actuaries with Caroline Gregoire, 2nd-4th November
- CAS Annual Meeting – 6th-9th November
Save the Date:
- CIA: Pension and Investment Seminar – 15th November
- IFoA: GIRO Conference 2022 – 21st-23rd November
- SOA: The Flip Side: Pension Benefits Assessment Webcast 22nd November
- CAS: Adapting Climate Models for Flood Risk Decision Making
- Understanding Risk: UR22 – 28th November- 2nd December
The 2023 International Congress of Actuaries: Bridge to Tomorrow, takes place next year in Sydney, Australia and there are several ways to be involved:
So, do you think you can take a selfie? In celebration of the ICA2023 theme, Bridge to Tomorrow, there’s a competition! Take a selfie in front of your favourite bridge, and you could win two tickets to BridgeClimb Sydney or a Gift Voucher of equal value. Details Here.
The IAA and its partner actuview are pleased to announce the 1st Young Actuaries World Cup (YAWC). YAWC welcomes all actuaries and students under the age of 35 years old to create a short video expressing their views on how the profession can be advanced in the future along the journey on the Bridge to Tomorrow. The four finalists will compete for the championship title at the International Congress of Actuaries in Sydney. To learn more about this exciting initiative, visit the YAWC webpage.
- CIA Education website launched
- ASA Pathway: Reduction of Exam Hours and Content
- IFoA Learning Change Programme
- University of CAS Online Learning Center
- IAA: Climate-Related Disclosures and Risk Management: Standards and Leading Practices Paper Webinar – 3rd October
- The Guardian: ‘You can’t unsee this’: Richard Mosse’s all-consuming plea to save the Amazon
- Politico: Malpass survives climate gaffe, but the World Bank’s fossil fuel policy may not
- Sustainable Innovation Forum: An inclusive, collaborative event enabling climate action at COP27 – 9th-10th November
- Science: How SARS-CoV-2 battles our immune system
- HealthDay: Thousands of U.S. Cancer Patients Died From COVID Complications, Study Finds
- The Guardian: Immune reactions to severe Covid may trigger brain problems, study finds
- The Guardian: Living with long Covid (series of articles)
- Nature: Ebola outbreak in Uganda: how worried are researchers?
Thought for Today:
Just for Fun:
- Caribbean Creativity: The Global Extraction Film Festival 26th-30th October
You Might Have Missed:
In late August a team of CAA members, led by President-Elect Judy Veira and President Simone Brathwaite, submitted a detailed response to Barbados’ NIS in response to a government request for assistance.
Recording of the IAA’s recent Real-life Experiences of Standard Setting webinar with Birgit Kaiser of the German Association of Actuaries and the CAA’s Lisa Wade is now up.
The New Actuary: Interview with Dr. the Hon. Nigel Clarke, Jamaica’s Minister of Finance and the Public Service, on our social media pages.
Barbados’ PM Mia Mottley recently spoke before the US House Committee on Financial Services onWhen Banks Leave: The Impacts of De-Risking on the Caribbean and Strategies for Ensuring Financial Access (3:41)
Your News Team: Mike, Betty, Lindsay, Octavio, Pedro & Stokeley
The information on this page does not necessarily reflect the CAA’s opinions, standards or policies. Data included in the graphs have been obtained from several sources, the accuracy of which cannot be guaranteed by the CAA. The CAA assumes no responsibility or liability for the accuracy or completeness of the content contained in any linked site.