Registration is now open for our Climate Change: Emerging Risks and Opportunities lunchtime webinar on 6th June, the day after World Environment Day. #OnlyOneEarth
SAVE THE DATE: CAA CONFERENCE 2022 – 7th-9th DECEMBER in BARBADOS
The Actuary has featured Caribbean Stars, Andrew Long and Norbert Fullerton, and their Actuarial Scholarship offered in partnership with the IFoA Foundation. The Scholarship is tenable at the University of the West Indies. Similar UWI scholarships include the Insurance Association of the Caribbean Scholarship, Mike McLaughlin’s Caribbean Actuarial Scholarship and, of course, the CAA’s own Stephen Alleyne Memorial Scholarship.
The Insurance Association of the Caribbean’s 40th Annual Conference will be face-to-face next month, 5th-7th June, in The Bahamas.
The International Conference on Inclusive Insurance 2022 will take place in Jamaica from 24th-28th October. A call for proposals is now open and we encourage members who are insurance actuaries to consider submitting proposals.
May is Mental Health Awareness Month
- RGA: Digital Mental Health: Emerging Trends and Implications for Insurance (actuview)
- UWI COVID-19 Task Force: Mental Health and Psychological Support
- Mind Tools: Managing Stress
- Mental Health Foundation (UK): Coping with loneliness
- IFoA: Mental Health Working Party
What else we’re watching & reading:
- SOA & CAS Introduce Needs-Based Exam Reimbursement Pilot Program for Actuarial Candidates
- Actuview videos by category
- Pensions Expert: Tackling net zero, consolidation and diversity
- IAA ICA Bursary Fund
- CIA Annual Conference act22 16th-17th June
- IAIS: 2022 Global Seminar 16th-17th June (Croatia)
- CAS: How Actuaries Can Create a Pricing Framework Using Next Generation Technologies 21st June
- IAA: AFIR-ERM & ASTIN Colloquium 21st-2th June
- IFoA: Conference 2022 22nd-23rd June
- OECD: Fourth Ministerial Summit on Productivity – Towards a productive, human-centred and sustainable integration in the world economy 23rd-24th June
- The Actuary: Climate change and sustainability regulatory commitments and new Risk Alert
- Vox: The massive, unregulated source of plastic pollution you’ve probably never heard of
- The Guardian: The ‘carbon bombs’ set to blow up the world’s climate pledges
- Washington Post: Methane emissions jumped by record amount in 2021, NOAA says
- IAA releases Climate Science: A Summary for Actuaries
- UWI: Long Shot: Aiming to Reduce Vaccine Hesitancy Research Paper
- The Actuary (IFoA): Forewarned & forearmed: preparing for the future
- TED Talks: We can make COVID-19 the last pandemic Bill Gates
- SOA: COVID-19 and Insured Mortality: A Year Later 3rd June
- CAS: Covid-19 and the Impact on the Insurance Industry 16th June
- Reuters Coronavirus Tracker: Latin America & The Caribbean
Monkeypox was first identified about 40 years ago in Central and West Africa. Symptoms are similar to chicken pox and it is transmitted similarly, through close contact. BBC: Monkeypox cases investigated in Europe, US, Canada and Australia
Thought for Today: How to become a better listener, according to science
Save the Date:
- Convention A 19th-23rd September. Including four hours of content from Cathy Lyn and her Diversity team
- International Conference on Inclusive Insurance 24th-28th October, scheduled for Kingston, Jamaica.
- 2022 SOA ImpACT Conference 26th-28th October
Did you miss our seminar: Social Security: What Lies Ahead? Watch it now on our YouTube Channel.
IFoA Council Elections are open. All members who qualify to vote in these elections are encouraged to do so. We note that two good friends of the CAA, Kudzai Chigiji and IIbrahim Muhanna, are both running for seats.
Online CPD attestation for 2021 is open. All Ordinary, Affiliate and Associate Members of the Caribbean Actuarial Association are required to do Continuing Professional Development. Please read the entire CPD Policy here then complete your attestation by logging into the members’ area of our website and selecting the appropriate button from the menu on the left of your screen.
The 2023 International Congress of Actuaries, Bridge to Tomorrow, is taking place next year in Sydney, Australia. Those of you who have been hoping to present at this premier event must submit your abstracts by 31st March 2022. Good Luck! More about ICA 2023 here.
SOA Actuarial Science Early Career Award. The early career award is intended to encourage researchers to contribute to the field of actuarial science and to set examples of excellent actuarial research in colleges and universities. Submissions close on 31st May.
Your News Team: Mike, Pedro, Shubhash & Betty
The information on this page does not necessarily reflect the opinions, standards or policies of the CAA. Data included in graphs has been obtained from several sources the accuracy of which cannot be guaranteed by the CAA. The CAA assumes no responsibility or liability for the accuracy or completeness of content contained in any linked site.