Hélène Pouliot, the CIA’s new President and a proud CAA member, looks ahead to her term in office.
The SOA has just launched a new digital platform, the Emerging Topics Community, with curated podcasts and articles. Check out their preview here!
Results of the latest IFRS 17 Survey, conducted by the CAA’s Life Insurance Committee, are available on the Resources page of our website.
Online CPD attestation for 2021 closes THIS SUNDAY.
All Ordinary, Affiliate and Associate Members of the Caribbean Actuarial Association are required to do Continuing Professional Development. Please read the entire CPD Policy here then complete your attestation by logging into the members’ area of our website and selecting the appropriate button from the menu on the left of your screen. Members who do not attest compliance with their primary body by 31st July will be recorded as non-compliant. Members no longer in active practice should inform the CAA accordingly.
- The CAA’s Stephen Alleyne Memorial Scholarship Application deadline 31st July
- McLaughlins’ & Actuarial Foundation’s Caribbean Actuarial Scholarship Application deadline 31st July
- Andrew Long, Norbert Fullerton & IFoA Foundation’s Fullerton-Long Caribbean Scholarship Application deadline 31st August
- Insurance Association of the Caribbean Scholarship Application deadline 31st August
- Other UWI Scholarships & Bursaries
Registration is open for Convention A from 19th to 23rd September.The Programme includes content from Cathy Lyn and her Diversity team and much more. Special rates are available for actuview users. Actuview is free to all CAA members. Please contact our Secretariat if you have not received, or have mislaid, your actuview access code.
Early Bird Registration for The 2023 International Congress of Actuaries: Bridge to Tomorrow, which takes place in Sydney, Australia, is now open.
The IAA Bursary Congress Fund is available to provide some financial support facilitating the participation of interested candidates complying with the characteristics of the bursary selection process. Bursaries will be allocated at the discretion of the IAA Advice & Assistance ICA 2023 Bursary Task Force and may be for only part of the expected costs. Application deadline is 15th September 2022.
What else we’re watching & reading:
- SOA: Cause-of-Death Contributions to Socioeconomic Inequalities in Mortality in the United States
- The Guardian: European Central Bank raises interest rates for first time in 11 years
- The Actuary (SOA): Actuarial Apprenticeship
- Contingencies (AAA): Insurance and the Metaverse
- Pensions Expert: How to scrutinise advisers over their ESG approaches
- CAS: 2022 CAS Virtual Trunk Show – August Edition 3rd August
- 57th Actuarial Research Conference 3rd-6th August Preview
- ASEA Actuarial Symposium 5th-6th August
- BIBA Business Luncheon Seminar 10th August
- IABA’s 2022 Annual Meeting: Reunited. Reignited 11th-13th August
- ALPFA 2022 Convention 7th-10th August – during which OLA will celebrate their 5th Anniversary
- SOA: Actuary, Data Scientist, or Actuarial Data Scientist 19th August
- SOA 2022 Life Meeting 23rd-26th August
- Pensions Expert: Tackling patchy carbon emissions data from issuers
- The Actuary (IFoA): Commons purpose: the organisations and networks behind climate-related governance
- Actuarial Review (CAS): Risks Emerge Around Climate-Related Litigation
- The Guardian: Metropolis meltdown: the urgent steps we need to take to cool our sweltering cities
- IFoA: Climate Risk and Sustainability Course 12th October –7th December
- SOA: COVID Impacts on IDI Industry Based on 2022 Survey Results
- The Atlantic: Could Genetics Be the Key to Never Getting the Coronavirus?
- The Guardian: How Covid keeps surprising us and confounding the experts (podcast)
- WHO: Monkeypox update
- SOA: Pandemics & Paradigm Shifts: ERM in an Intensely Dynamic World Webcast 31st August
Thought for Today: You are what you eat
- ‘Disturbing’: weedkiller ingredient tied to cancer found in 80% of US urine samples
- Microplastics detected in meat, milk and blood of farm animals
- Environmental Chemical Contaminants in Food: Review of a Global Problem
- Revealed: US water likely contains more ‘forever chemicals’ than EPA tests show
Just for Fun:
Save the Date:
- International Conference on Inclusive Insurance 24th-28th October, scheduled for Kingston, Jamaica.
- ASSA 2022 Convention 25th-28th October
- 2022 SOA ImpACT Conference 26th-28th October
- AAA Annual Meeting: Envision Tomorrow 2nd-3rd November
- CAS Annual Meeting 6th-9th November
CAA CONFERENCE 2022 – 7th-9th DECEMBER – BARBADOS
The IAC’s Insurance Master Class: Pensions & Annuities with CAA Member Constance Hall has been postponed until October.
Watch Climate Change: Emerging Risks and Opportunities, Social Security: What Lies Ahead? and other past CAA webcasts anytime on our YouTube Channel.
Solving the Ageing Population Crisis in the Caribbean, with speakers including Derek Osborne, is available to watch on the Central Bank of Barbados’ YouTube channel.
Pdf presentations from the recent IAC Annual Conference may be downloaded here.
Your News Team: Mike, Pedro, Shubhash, Ashley & Betty
The information on this page does not necessarily reflect the opinions, standards or policies of the CAA. Data included in graphs has been obtained from several sources the accuracy of which cannot be guaranteed by the CAA. The CAA assumes no responsibility or liability for the accuracy or completeness of content contained in any linked site.