You are invited to watch the International Actuarial Association‘s webinar on 27th September from 7:00-8:00am EDT/AST as Birgit Kaiser, of the German Association of Actuaries, and the CAA’s Lisa Wade present on Real-life Experiences of Standard Setting.
Stay tuned for the Financial Services Commission of Jamaica’s webinar, Actuarial Valuation Results: What Do They Mean For Your Pension Plan? 10:00-11:00am EST on 29th September. The webinar will be presented by the CAA’s Constance Hall.
Check out The New Actuary: Interview with Dr. the Hon. Nigel Clarke, Jamaica’s Minister of Finance and the Public Service, on our social media pages.
Barbados’ PM Mia Mottley recently spoke before the US House Committee on Financial Services on When Banks Leave: The Impacts of De-Risking on the Caribbean and Strategies for Ensuring Financial Access (3:41)
Cathy Lyn and her Diversity team of Tonya Manning, Marjorie Ngwenya, Lesley Traverso and Mitesh Sheth presents on 21st September. Kudzai Chigiji and other friends of the CAA are also included in the Programme.
- 15th Survey of Emerging Risks Now Available
- Mallika Bender, CAS DE&I Staff Actuary Interview with the Conference of Consulting Actuaries
- ESG Can’t Square With Fiduciary Duty
- (SOA): The Changing Face of the Actuarial Profession
- CAS Election Results
- SOA Election Results
- Caribbean Economics Quarterly
- IAA & Instituto dos Actuários Portugueses: IFRS17 – 27th September
- Dive In: The Festival for Diversity and Inclusion In Insurance – 27th-29th September
- FiX 2022: The Ultimate Fintech Experience,The Caribbean’s premier global fintech conference -5th– 7th October in Barbados
The 2023 International Congress of Actuaries: Bridge to Tomorrow, takes place next year in Sydney, Australia and there are several ways to be involved:
So, you think you can selfie? In celebration of the ICA2023 theme, Bridge to Tomorrow, there’s a competition! Take a selfie in front of your favourite bridge and you could win 2 tickets to BridgeClimb Sydney or a Gift Voucher of equal value. Details Here.
The IAA and its partner actuview are pleased to announce the 1st Young Actuaries World Cup (YAWC). YAWC welcomes all actuaries and students under the age of 35 years old to create a short video expressing their views on how the profession can be advanced in the future along the journey on the Bridge to Tomorrow. The four finalists will compete for the championship title at the International Congress of Actuaries in Sydney. To learn more about this exciting initiative, visit the YAWC webpage.
The IAA Bursary Congress Fund is available to provide some financial support facilitating the participation of interested candidates complying with the characteristics of the bursary selection process. Bursaries will be allocated at the discretion of the IAA Advice & Assistance ICA 2023 Bursary Task Force and may be for only part of the expected costs. Applications are closed.
Save the Date:
- EAA: Whistleblowing – Practical Education for Actuaries – 24th October
- International Conference on Inclusive Insurance – 24th-28th October, scheduled for Kingston, Jamaica
- ASSA 2022 Convention – 25th-28th October
- 2022 SOA ImpACT Conference – 26th-28th October
- AAA Annual Meeting: Envision Tomorrow -2nd-3rd November
- CAS Annual Meeting – 6th-9th November
- IFoA: GIRO Conference 2022 – 21st-23rd November
- Understanding Risk: UR22 – 28th November- 2nd December
- IABA Virtual Fall Career Fair 11th October
- CIA Education website launched
- ASA Pathway: Reduction of Exam Hours and Content
- IFoA Learning Change Programme
- University of CAS Online Learning Center
- KBRA: Climate Change Challenges Life Insurers’ Mortality Assumptions
- The Guardian: Out of thin air: new solar-powered invention creates hydrogen fuel from the atmosphere
- The Atlantic: It Wasn’t Just Oil Companies Spreading Climate Denial
- NOAA: Disaster and Risk Mapping
- World Bank: Country Climate and Development Reports
- IAA(PBSS): Societal Risk: Climate Change, Sustainability & Biodiversity 12th Oct
- IFoA: Climate Risk and Sustainability Course 12th October –7th December
- Sustainable Innovation Forum: An inclusive collaborative event enabling climate action at COP27 – 9th-10th November
- BBC: Self-sterilising plastic kills viruses like Covid
- PAHO: Monkeypox in the Region of the Americas – Risk assessment
- Science: Polio is back in rich countries, but it poses a far bigger threat to developing world
- SOA: Group Life COVID-19 Mortality Survey – Updated through March 2022
Thought for Today:
Just for Fun:
- Government of Barbados Press Briefing on the National Insurance Scheme with PM Mia Mottley, NIS Actuary Derek Osborne and others. (YouTube 1:47)
- Our NIS – The Way Forward (YouTube 1:57)
- NIS 17th Actuarial Review (pdf)
- Watch April’s Social Security: What Lies Ahead? and other past CAA webcasts anytime on our YouTube Channel.
- The SOA is seeking researchers to submit proposals on the topic of Ecosystem with Big Technology for Insurers.
- SOA Young Professional Advisory Council for SOA members within 10 years of achieving their ASA.
- SOA Member Recognition Program – prizes offered to SOA volunteers include the option to donate US$25 to the Actuarial Foundation’s Caribbean Actuarial Scholarship.
Results of the latest IFRS 17 Survey, conducted by the CAA’s Life Insurance Committee, are available on the Resources page of our website.
Solving the Ageing Population Crisis in the Caribbean, with speakers including Derek Osborne, is available to watch on the Central Bank of Barbados’ YouTube channel.
Your News Team: Mike, Betty, Lindsay Pedro & Shubhash
The information on this page does not necessarily reflect the opinions, standards or policies of the CAA. Data included in graphs have been obtained from several sources the accuracy of which cannot be guaranteed by the CAA. The CAA assumes no responsibility or liability for the accuracy or completeness of content contained in any linked site.