On 25th October, John Robinson, who was there at the start of the CAA, will be inaugurated as President of the Society of Actuaries, the world’s largest actuarial body. Those who can, please register to attend the 2022 SOA ImpACT Conference in person, from the 23rd to the 26th October, and show support for one of our own Caribbean actuaries! There is also a virtual component, from the 26th to the 28th, for those who cannot attend in person.
Did you miss the International Actuarial Association‘s recent webinar, Real-life Experiences of Standard Setting, with Birgit Kaiser, of the German Association of Actuaries, and the CAA’s Lisa Wade? The recording is now up on the IAA’s YouTube channel.
Videos from Convention A, the recent online Actuarial Event for actuaries of all specialties, are now being uloaded to actuview.
Happening now: The Virtual Island Summit, Sharing Knowledge For Resilient, Sustainable and Prosperous Islands Worldwide, continues until 2nd October. Speakers from Island Nations worldwide share Ideas, Good Practices and Solutions. Registration is Free and videos of concluded sessions are available.
Interesting Reading & Watching:
- Contingencies (AAA): Insuring the Cloud
- The Actuary (SOA): Stress Testing the Insurance Industry
- The Actuary (SOA): Modernizing Life Insurance
- Seeing Beyond Risk (CIA): Finding the balance: Personalization of risk and risk pooling
- Actuaries Institute (Aus): Driven by Data: An expert’s take on ethical AI (podcast)
- SOA: Financial Reporting Section: Drink in the Details Part Three: IFRS 17 and Iced Tea (podcast)
- FiX 2022: The Ultimate Fintech Experience,The Caribbean’s premier global fintech conference –5th– 7th October in Barbados
- IAA: IAAHS Data-driven innovation in digital healthcare – 13th October
- CCA: Annual Meeting – 16th-19th October
- EAA: Whistleblowing – Practical Education for Actuaries – 24th October
- International Conference on Inclusive Insurance – 24th-28th October in Kingston, Jamaica
- ASSA 2022 Convention –25th-28th October
The 2023 International Congress of Actuaries: Bridge to Tomorrow, takes place next year in Sydney, Australia and there are several ways to be involved:
So, you think you can selfie? In celebration of the ICA2023 theme, Bridge to Tomorrow, there’s a competition! Take a selfie in front of your favourite bridge and you could win 2 tickets to BridgeClimb Sydney or a Gift Voucher of equal value. Details Here.
The IAA and its partner actuview are pleased to announce the 1st Young Actuaries World Cup (YAWC). YAWC welcomes all actuaries and students under the age of 35 years old to create a short video expressing their views on how the profession can be advanced in the future along the journey on the Bridge to Tomorrow. The four finalists will compete for the championship title at the International Congress of Actuaries in Sydney. To learn more about this exciting initiative, visit the YAWC webpage.
Save the Date:
- AAA Annual Meeting: Envision Tomorrow -2nd-3rd November
- CAS Annual Meeting – 6th-9th November
- IFoA: GIRO Conference 2022 – 21st-23rd November
- Understanding Risk: UR22 – 28th November- 2nd December
- Registration for October/November 2022 CAS Exams Is Closing Soon
- IABA Virtual Fall Career Fair 11th October
- CIA Education website launched
- ASA Pathway: Reduction of Exam Hours and Content
- IFoA Learning Change Programme
- University of CAS Online Learning Center
- Actuview: Sustainability and the Role of the Actuary – A Professionalism Perspective
- Insight (ASSA): New risk on the block – why climate risk is not going away and why actuaries should care
- The Actuary (IF0A): Moody’s Climate Risk for Insurers Series
- AP: UN to EU: Don’t backtrack on climate goals amid energy pinch
- IAA(PBSS): Societal Risk: Climate Change, Sustainability & Biodiversity 12th Oct
- IFoA: Climate Risk and Sustainability Course 12th October –7th December
- Sustainable Innovation Forum: An inclusive collaborative event enabling climate action at COP27 – 9th-10th November
- The Guardian: Non-communicable diseases kill a person under 70 every two seconds, says WHO
- Bloomberg: Why Polio, Once Nearly Eradicated, Is Rebounding
- WTTW: Monkeypox Disproportionally Affecting People With HIV, Researchers Find
- NatGeo: Is the COVID-19 pandemic over?
- SOA: Group Life COVID-19 Mortality Survey – Updated through March 2022
Thought for Today:
Just for Fun:
You Might Have Missed:
The New Actuary: Interview with Dr. the Hon. Nigel Clarke, Jamaica’s Minister of Finance and the Public Service, on our social media pages.
Barbados’ PM Mia Mottley recently spoke before the US House Committee on Financial Services onWhen Banks Leave: The Impacts of De-Risking on the Caribbean and Strategies for Ensuring Financial Access (3:41)
The Casualty Actuarial Society (CAS) and the Society of Actuaries Research Institute’s (SOA) Committee on Knowledge Extension Research (CKER) announce the 2023 Individual Grants Competition to support the advancement of knowledge in actuarial science.
- Government of Barbados Press Briefing on the National Insurance Scheme with PM Mia Mottley, NIS Actuary Derek Osborne and others. (YouTube 1:47)
- Our NIS – The Way Forward (YouTube 1:57)
- NIS 17th Actuarial Review (pdf)
- Watch April’s Social Security: What Lies Ahead? and other past CAA webcasts anytime on our YouTube Channel.
- The SOA is seeking researchers to submit proposals on the topic of Ecosystem with Big Technology for Insurers.
- SOA Young Professional Advisory Council for SOA members within 10 years of achieving their ASA.
- SOA Member Recognition Program – prizes offered to SOA volunteers include the option to donate US$25 to the Actuarial Foundation’s Caribbean Actuarial Scholarship.
Your News Team: Mike, Betty, Lindsay & Pedro
The information on this page does not necessarily reflect the opinions, standards or policies of the CAA. Data included in graphs have been obtained from several sources the accuracy of which cannot be guaranteed by the CAA. The CAA assumes no responsibility or liability for the accuracy or completeness of content contained in any linked site.