Last Monday, the CAA presented Climate Change: Emerging Risks and Opportunities with speakers Craig Johnson and Michael Tencer and an introduction by Avinash Persaud, Chairman of the CARICOM Commission on the Economy. If you missed it, you can watch it, and other past webinars, anytime on our YouTube Channel.
You might also be interested in pursuing the IFoA’s Climate Risk and Sustainability Course.
A CAA contingent, led by President Simone Brathwaite and Past President Kyle Rudden, is now attending the 6th African Actuarial Congress in Ghana. Speakers on Day 2 included Stokeley Smart, Head of the Actuarial Science Programme at UWI, St. Augistine, and a CAA member. Stokeley’s presentation, Beyond the Formulae: Inorporating Modelling and Analytics Content in Actuarial Courses at the University of the West Indies, starts 42 minutes into the recording.
Hearty Congratulations to Barbados P.M. Mia Mottley on making Time’s 100 Most Influential People of 2022. Our Caribbean Climate Champion makes her voice, and ours, heard more and more every day.
What else we’re watching & reading:
- The Royal Society: The history of women and maths
- The Actuary (SOA): Adapting Actuaries
- Contingencies (AAA): Mythology and Actuarial Professionalism
- Actuview: Operationalizing Responsible AI in the Insurance Industry
- OECD: The Short and Winding Road to 2030 (Report)
- CAS: In Focus 2022 Virtual Seminar call for presentations deadline 5th July
- IFoA: GIRO 2022 Call for Speakers deadline 27th July
- IAIS: 2022 Global Seminar 16th-17th June (Croatia)
- CAS: How Actuaries Can Create a Pricing Framework Using Next Generation Technologies 21st June
- IAA: AFIR-ERM/ASTIN/CAS Colloquium 21st-24th June
- IFoA: Conference 2022 22nd-23rd June
- OECD: Fourth Ministerial Summit on Productivity – Towards a productive, human-centred and sustainable integration in the world economy 23rd-24th June
The Canadian Institute of Actuaries’ Annual Conference act22 takes place from 16th to17th June. You are encouraged to attend and support Hélène Pouliot, who is also a CAA member, as she takes over as CIA President.
The International Conference on Inclusive Insurance 2022 will take place in Jamaica from 24th-28th October. A call for proposals is now open and we encourage members who are insurance actuaries to consider submitting proposals.
June is Pride Month:
- SAGAA: A LinkedIn Group for LGBTQ+ Actuaries and Allies
- Associations Now: The Many Dimensions of DEI
- UNDP: Being LGBTI in the Caribbean: Reducing Inequality & Exclusion Experienced by LGBTI People in Barbados, Dominican Republic, Haiti and Jamaica
- Equality Index: Explore the progress of LGBTQ+ rights across the world
- Microsoft Cloud for Sustainability
- KBRA: Understanding Climate Change Through the Ocean: A Conversation with BIOS and ASU (podcast)
- The Atlantic: Kelp Is Weirdly Great at Sucking Carbon Out of the Sky
- NOAA predicts above-normal 2022 Atlantic Hurricane Season
- Actuaries Institute: IPCC’s 6th Assessment Reports and recent extreme weather events 15th June
- AP: WHO: COVID origins unclear but lab leak theory needs study
- The New Yorker: Will the Coronavirus Pandemic Ever End?
- WEForum: A visual history of pandemics
- Our World in Data: Excess mortality during the Coronavirus pandemic
- CAS: Covid-19 and the Impact on the Insurance Industry 16th June
- The CAA’s Stephen Alleyne Memorial Scholarship
- McLaughlins & Actuarial Foundation’s Caribbean Actuarial Scholarship
- Andrew Long, Norbert Fullerton & IFoA Foundation’s Fullerton-Long Caribbean Scholarship
- the Insurance Association of the Caribbean Scholarship
- Other UWI Scholarships & Bursaries
- Society of Actuaries and Casualty Actuarial Society Introduce Needs-Based Exam Reimbursement Pilot Program for Actuarial Candidates
- CAA Exam Refund Programme
Thought for Today:
- The Guardian: Lord Browne: the man who went from BP and the North Sea to net zero
- BBC: Shell consultant quits and accuses firm of ‘extreme harms’
Just for Fun:
Save the Date:
- 57th Actuarial Research Conference 3rd-6th August
- ALPFA 2022 Convention 7th-10th August during which OLA will celebrate their 5th Anniversary
- IABA Annual Meeting: Reunited. Reignited 11th-13th August
- Convention A 19th-23rd September. Including four hours of content from Cathy Lyn and her Diversity team
- International Conference on Inclusive Insurance 24th-28th October, scheduled for Kingston, Jamaica.
- 2022 SOA ImpACT Conference 26th-28th October
CAA CONFERENCE 2022 – 7th-9th DECEMBER – BARBADOS
Did you miss our seminar: Social Security: What Lies Ahead? Watch it now on our YouTube Channel.
Online CPD attestation for 2021 is open. All Ordinary, Affiliate and Associate Members of the Caribbean Actuarial Association are required to do Continuing Professional Development. Please read the entire CPD Policy here then complete your attestation by logging into the members’ area of our website and selecting the appropriate button from the menu on the left of your screen.
The 2023 International Congress of Actuaries, Bridge to Tomorrow, is taking place next year in Sydney, Australia More about ICA 2023 here.
The IAA Bursary Congress Fund is available to provide some financial support facilitating the participation of interested candidates complying with the characteristics of the bursary selection process. Bursaries will be allocated at the discretion of the IAA Advice & Assistance ICA 2023 Bursary Task Force and may be for only part of the expected costs.
Your News Team: Mike, Pedro, Shubhash, Ashley & Betty
The information on this page does not necessarily reflect the opinions, standards or policies of the CAA. Data included in graphs has been obtained from several sources the accuracy of which cannot be guaranteed by the CAA. The CAA assumes no responsibility or liability for the accuracy or completeness of content contained in any linked site.