Stay tuned for the Financial Services Commission of Jamaica’s webinar, Actuarial Valuation Results: What Do They Mean For Your Pension Plan? 10:00-11:00am EST on 29th September from 10:00-11:00am EST. The webinar will be presented by the CAA’s Constance Hall.
Check out The New Actuary: Interview with Dr. the Hon. Nigel Clarke, Jamaica’s Minister of Finance and the Public Service, on our social media pages.
The Insurance Association of the Caribbean presents Insurance Masterclass:
Group Medical Insurance, with Trevor Hugh B. Stewart DBA, on 14th September from 9:00-11:00am EST.
The Institute of Chartered Accountants of Barbados’ Public Sector Conference – Rethink Retool Realign on the 16th September in Barbados.
- Government of Barbados Press Briefing on the National Insurance Scheme with PM Mia Mottley, NIS Actuary Derek Osborne and others. (YouTube 1:47)
- Our NIS – The Way Forward (YouTube 1:57)
- NIS 17th Actuarial Review (pdf)
- Watch April’s Social Security: What Lies Ahead? and other past CAA webcasts anytime on our YouTube Channel.
Cathy Lyn and her Diversity team of Tonya Manning, Marjorie Ngwenya, Lesley Traverso and Mitesh Sheth presents on 21st September. Kudzai Chigiji and other friends of the CAA are also included in the Programme.
- CAS Election Results
- SOA 2022 Candidates for Elected Board Member and President Elect
- (SOA): The Changing Face of the Actuarial Profession
- IFoA Risk Alert: The impact of high inflation on actuarial practice
- (SOA): Beyond IFRS 17 Implementation
- actuview: Solvency II Review
- IDB: Caribbean Economics Quarterly
- CAS Virtual Workshop: Introduction to Python 10th August-14th September
- IAA: Actuaries in Banking 15th September
- SOA: Leadership Lesson – a Successful Actuarial Career 16th September
The 2023 International Congress of Actuaries: Bridge to Tomorrow, takes place next year in Sydney, Australia and there are several ways to be involved:
So, you think you can selfie? In celebration of the ICA2023 theme, Bridge to Tomorrow, there’s a competition! Take a selfie in front of your favourite bridge and you could win 2 tickets to BridgeClimb Sydney or a Gift Voucher of equal value. Details Here.
The IAA and its partner actuview are pleased to announce the 1st Young Actuaries World Cup (YAWC). YAWC welcomes all actuaries and students under the age of 35 years old to create a short video expressing their views on how the profession can be advanced in the future along the journey on the Bridge to Tomorrow. The four finalists will compete for the championship title at the International Congress of Actuaries in Sydney. To learn more about this exciting initiative, visit the YAWC webpage.
The IAA Bursary Congress Fund is available to provide some financial support facilitating the participation of interested candidates complying with the characteristics of the bursary selection process. Bursaries will be allocated at the discretion of the IAA Advice & Assistance ICA 2023 Bursary Task Force and may be for only part of the expected costs. Application deadline is 15th September 2022.
Save the Date:
- FiX 2022: The Ultimate Fintech Experience,The Caribbean’s premier global fintech conference,from 5th to 7th October in Barbados
- International Conference on Inclusive Insurance 24th-28th October, scheduled for Kingston, Jamaica
- EAA: Whistleblowing – Practical Education for Actuaries 24th October
- ASSA 2022 Convention 25th-28th October
- 2022 SOA ImpACT Conference 26th-28th October
- AAA Annual Meeting: Envision Tomorrow 2nd-3rd November
- CAS Annual Meeting 6th-9th November
- IFoA: GIRO Conference 2022 21st-23rd November
- Understanding Risk: UR22 28th November- 2nd December
- CIA Education website launched
- ASA Pathway: Reduction of Exam Hours and Content
- IFoA September 2022 exams
- Appointment Opportunities for CAS Fall Exam Sitting
- BriTheMathGuy on YouTube
- NOAA: Disaster and Risk Mapping
- Bloomberg: Dried-Out Farms From China to Iowa Will Pressure Food Prices
- One Billion Resilient: Heat Action Platform
- World Bank: Country Climate and Development Reports
- IAA(PBSS): Societal Risk: Climate Change, Sustainability & Biodiversity 12th Oct
- IFoA: Climate Risk and Sustainability Course 12th October –7th December
- SOA: Group Life COVID-19 Mortality Survey – Updated through March 2022
- SOA: COVID-19 and the Short-Term Impact on Future U.S. Mortality (podcast)
- Washington Post: The history of polio and the vaccines that nearly eradicated it
- WHO press conference on COVID-19, monkeypox and other global health issues – 7 September 2022
Thought for Today:
- I’m a psychologist – and I believe we’ve been told devastating lies about mental health “Will six sessions of CBT … really be effective for someone who doesn’t know how they’re going to feed their family for another week? Antidepressants aren’t going to eradicate the relentless racial trauma a black man is surviving in a hostile workplace, and branding people who are enduring sexual violence with a psychiatric disorder does nothing to keep them safe”.
Just for Fun:
SOA Young Professional Advisory Council for SOA members within 10 years of achieving their ASA.
SOA Member Recognition Program – prizes offered to SOA volunteers include the option to donate US$25 to the Actuarial Foundation’s Caribbean Actuarial Scholarship.
Results of the latest IFRS 17 Survey, conducted by the CAA’s Life Insurance Committee, are available on the Resources page of our website.
Solving the Ageing Population Crisis in the Caribbean, with speakers including Derek Osborne, is available to watch on the Central Bank of Barbados’ YouTube channel.
Your News Team: Mike, Betty, Lindsay Pedro & Shubhash
The information on this page does not necessarily reflect the opinions, standards or policies of the CAA. Data included in graphs have been obtained from several sources the accuracy of which cannot be guaranteed by the CAA. The CAA assumes no responsibility or liability for the accuracy or completeness of content contained in any linked site.