Government of Barbados Press Briefing on the National Insurance Scheme with PM Mia Mottley, NIS Actuary Derek Osborne and others. (YouTube 1:47)
Watch Social Security: What Lies Ahead? and other past CAA webcasts anytime on our YouTube Channel.
The Insurance Association of the Caribbean presents: Engineering Insurance – Contractors And Machinery All Risk, with William Tomlin, on 1st September from 10:00am-12:00 noon AST.
Check out The New Actuary, from our Industry Growth Subcommittee, on our social media pages. And coming soon: interviews with individuals who have finessed their actuarial backgrounds into highly successful careers in other industries.
Members under thirty-five are invited to compete in the IAA’s Young Actuaries World Cup, a friendly global competition between young actuaries with the following objectives:
- Engage young actuaries on topical issues;
- Provide an opportunity for young actuaries to showcase their skills under the framework of the profession’s premier global event: the International Congress of Actuaries (ICA); and
- Ensure that younger generations see themselves represented within the IAA and its member associations.
Our deepest sympathy to long-serving member Marcia Tam-Marks on the passing of her father, “Billy” Tam.
- CIA 2021-2022 Annual Report
- IAA July Newsletter
- The European Actuary (includes two articles on cyber risk)
- SOA 2022 Candidates for Elected Board Member and President Elect
- Seeking researchers to submit proposals on the topic of Ecosystem with Big Technology for Insurers
- Young Professional Advisory Council SOA members within 10 years of achieving their ASA
- SOA: Implementing LDTI – Are you ready? 22nd August
- CAS Virtual Workshop: Introduction to Python 10th August—14th September
- AAA: Proposed Changes to ASOP No. 20, tentatively retitled Discounting of Property/Casualty Claim Estimates, and ASOP No. 36, tentatively retitled Statements of Actuarial Opinion Regarding Property/Casualty Loss, Loss Adjustment Expense, or Other Reserves. 31st August
- SOA 2022 Life Meeting 23rd-26th August
- ProActuary: The Disruptive Actuary 8th-9th September
- SOA: Leadership Lesson – a Successful Actuarial Career 16th September
CAA President Simone Brathwaite is part of IACA’s presentation on 19th September. Cathy Lyn and her Diversity team of Tonya Manning, Marjorie Ngwenya, Lesley Traverso and Mitesh Sheth will present on 21st September. Kudzai Chigiji and other friends of the CAA are also included in the Programme.
Early Bird Registration for The 2023 International Congress of Actuaries: Bridge to Tomorrow, in Sydney, Australia, is now open.
The IAA Bursary Congress Fund is available to provide some financial support facilitating the participation of interested candidates complying with the characteristics of the bursary selection process. Bursaries will be allocated at the discretion of the IAA Advice & Assistance ICA 2023 Bursary Task Force and may be for only part of the expected costs. Application deadline is 15th September 2022.
Save the Date:
- International Conference on Inclusive Insurance 24th-28th October, scheduled for Kingston, Jamaica.
- EAA: Whistleblowing – Practical Education for Actuaries 24th October
- ASSA 2022 Convention 25th-28th October
- 2022 SOA ImpACT Conference 26th-28th October
- AAA Annual Meeting: Envision Tomorrow 2nd-3rd November
- CAS Annual Meeting 6th-9th November
CAA CONFERENCE 2022 – 7th-9th DECEMBER – BARBADOS
- CIA Education website launched
- ASA Pathway: Reduction of Exam Hours and Content
- IFoA September 2022 exams
- Appointment Opportunities for CAS Fall Exam Sitting
- BriTheMathGuy on YouTube
- ProActuary: Climate Risk and Actuaries
- Insurance Business (Aus): Climate change to intensify insurance affordability pressure
- BBC: PFAS: Possible breakthrough to destroy harmful ‘forever chemicals’
- The Atlantic: The Best Evidence Yet That the Climate Bill Will Work
- The Guardian: ‘Soon the world will be unrecognisable’: is it still possible to prevent total climate meltdown?
- IFoA: Climate Risk and Sustainability Course 12th October –7th December
- WSJ: BCG Vaccine for Tuberculosis Offers Covid-19 Protection, Study Suggests
- Yale: For COVID-19, endemic stage could be two years away
- BBC: Polio: Do we have to worry about it again?
- BBC: Langya: New virus infects 35 people in eastern China
- SOA: Pandemics & Paradigm Shifts: ERM in an Intensely Dynamic World Webcast 31st August
Thought for Today:
- From the archives of the Atlantic (2008): Is Google Making Us Stupid? If you don’t have a subscription you may refer to Britannica or Wikipedia. Fourteen years after the 6 page article was published is it even more relevant? Now segue right into…..
Just for Fun:
SOA Member Recognition Program – prizes offered to SOA volunteers include the option to donate US$25 to the Actuarial Foundation’s Caribbean Actuarial Scholarship.
Results of the latest IFRS 17 Survey, conducted by the CAA’s Life Insurance Committee, are available on the Resources page of our website.
Hélène Pouliot, the CIA’s new President and a proud CAA member, looks ahead to her term in office.
Solving the Ageing Population Crisis in the Caribbean, with speakers including Derek Osborne, is available to watch on the Central Bank of Barbados’ YouTube channel.
Your News Team: Mike, Betty, Lindsay Pedro & Shubhash
The information on this page does not necessarily reflect the opinions, standards or policies of the CAA. Data included in graphs have been obtained from several sources the accuracy of which cannot be guaranteed by the CAA. The CAA assumes no responsibility or liability for the accuracy or completeness of content contained in any linked site.