The IAC’s Insurance Master Class: Pensions & Annuities, with CAA Member Constance Hall, has been postponed until October.
Online CPD attestation for 2021 closes IN THREE WEEKS. All Ordinary, Affiliate and Associate Members of the Caribbean Actuarial Association are required to do Continuing Professional Development. Please read the entire CPD Policy here then complete your attestation by logging into the members’ area of our website and selecting the appropriate button from the menu on the left of your screen.
Pdf presentations from the recent IAC Annual Conference may be downloaded here.
Registration is now open for Convention A which takes place 19th-23rd September. The Programme includes content from Cathy Lyn and her Diversity team and much more. Special rates are available for actuview users. A free subscription to actuview is available to all our members. Please contact our Secretariat if you have not received, or have mislaid, your actuview access code.
Registration is also open for IABA’s 2022 Annual Meeting: Reunited. Reignited 11th-13th August
What else we’re watching & reading:
- Seeing Beyond Risk (CIA): The impact of big data on insurance ratemaking
- S&P: Next in Tech | Episode 73: Interesting times in insurance technology (podcast)
- SAI: Machine Learning in General Insurance Reserving – Method Comparison and Interpretation-Pt 2 (actuview)
- AAA: Casualty Quarterly
- The Guardian: Understanding the cryptocurrency crash (podcast)
- IFoA: Applying AI – From Concept to Practice 19th July
- SOA: Building Digital Platforms: Insurtechs, Carriers and Reinsurers Webcast 20th July
- IFoA: GIRO 2022 Call for Speakers deadline 27th July
- 57th Actuarial Research Conference 3rd-6th August Preview
- ASEA Actuarial Symposium 5th-6th August
- ALPFA 2022 Convention 7th-10th August – during which OLA will celebrate their 5th Anniversary
- SOA 2022 Life Meeting 23rd-26th August
- See our Thought for Today below
- CAS/CIA: 2022 Climate Risk Seminar 19th-21st July
- Pensions Expert: Pandemic to affect life expectancy ‘by less than 1%’
- Deloitte: The impact of COVID-19 on actuarial assumptions
- Reuters: BioNTech, Pfizer to start testing universal vaccine for coronaviruses
- PAHO: COVID-19 pandemic fuels largest continued backslide in vaccinations in three decades
- SOA: Emerging Long Term COVID-19 Trends Webcast 28th July
- SOA: Pandemics & Paradigm Shifts: ERM in an Intensely Dynamic World Webcast 31st August
Thought for Today:
Just over a year ago, British reporter Dom Phillips was awarded a journalism fellowship to study an Amazon conservation project. Last month his body was was found in the rainforest, along with the body of Indiginous rights activist, Bruno Pereira. They had been murdered. Here are some of the articles written by Phillips before his untimely death.
- ‘Like a bomb going off’: why Brazil’s largest reserve is facing destruction
- Brazilian beef farms ‘used workers kept in conditions similar to slavery’
- The Cerrado: how Brazil’s vital ‘water tank’ went from forest to soy fields
- Forest fire season is coming. How can we stop the Amazon burning?
We should all be cognisant of the fact that what happens in the Amazon affects the climate of the entire planet, right down to literally the very air we breathe.
- Nat Geo: Amazon Deforestation and Climate Change
- Nature: Pronounced loss of Amazon rainforest resilience since the early 2000s
- Amazon Aid Foundation: Climate Change
- NBC: Dom Phillips’ alleged murder highlights dangers of environmental journalism
Just for Fun:
Save the Date:
- International Conference on Inclusive Insurance 24th-28th October, scheduled for Kingston, Jamaica.
- 2022 SOA ImpACT Conference 26th-28th October
- CAS Annual Meeting 6th-9th November
CAA CONFERENCE 2022 – 7th-9th DECEMBER – BARBADOS
- UCAS Flash Sale 18th-29th July
- SOA Future Actuaries Math Challenge win free entry to Candidate Connect event at the 2022 SOA Life Meeting
- SOA Exams
- CAS Fall Exams
- IFoA Exams
- CIA New Pathways
- The CAA’s Stephen Alleyne Memorial Scholarship
- McLaughlins & Actuarial Foundation’s Caribbean Actuarial Scholarship
- Andrew Long, Norbert Fullerton & IFoA Foundation’s Fullerton-Long Caribbean Scholarship
- Insurance Association of the Caribbean Scholarship
- Other UWI Scholarships & Bursaries
- Society of Actuaries and Casualty Actuarial Society Introduce Needs-Based Exam Reimbursement Pilot Program for Actuarial Candidates
- CAA Exam Refund Programme
Did you miss our recent webinars Climate Change: Emerging Risks and Opportunities and Social Security: What Lies Ahead? Watch them anytime on our YouTube Channel.
Solving the Ageing Population Crisis in the Caribbean, with speakers including Derek Osborne, is available to watch on the Central Bank of Barbados’ YouTube channel.
Early Bird Registration for The 2023 International Congress of Actuaries: Bridge to Tomorrow, which takes place in Sydney, Australia, is now open.
The IAA Bursary Congress Fund is available to provide some financial support facilitating the participation of interested candidates complying with the characteristics of the bursary selection process. Bursaries will be allocated at the discretion of the IAA Advice & Assistance ICA 2023 Bursary Task Force and may be for only part of the expected costs.
Your News Team: Mike, Pedro, Shubhash, Ashley & Betty
The information on this page does not necessarily reflect the opinions, standards or policies of the CAA. Data included in graphs has been obtained from several sources the accuracy of which cannot be guaranteed by the CAA. The CAA assumes no responsibility or liability for the accuracy or completeness of content contained in any linked site.