Happy Canada Day to all our Canadian members and friends and Happy Fourth of July on Monday to our members and friends in the US!
Our AGM last year was virtual so the formal handing over of the Medal of Office from outgoing President Kyle Rudden to incoming President Simone Brathwaite did not take place. Six months later and half way round the world at the African Actuarial Conference, our ceremony, with the assistance of John Robinson, finally happened!
On 7th July, the Central Bank of Barbados’ Caribbean Economic Forum, Solving the Ageing Population Crisis in the Caribbean, takes place. Speakers include the CAA’s Derek Osborne and Prof. Karl Theodore, who we will remember from our 2018 Conference.
Congratulations to our long-time and very active member Mike McLaughlin and wife Mary on receiving yet another well deserved award. They were recently included among Crain’s Notable Leaders in Sustainability for their outstanding work!
Online CPD attestation for 2021 closes this month. All Ordinary, Affiliate and Associate Members of the Caribbean Actuarial Association are required to do Continuing Professional Development. Please read the entire CPD Policy here then complete your attestation by logging into the members’ area of our website and selecting the appropriate button from the menu on the left of your screen.
What else we’re watching & reading:
- Oliver Wyman: TheTectonic Shift Between Risk, Data, and Technology
- Seeing Beyond Risk (CIA): Alternative mortality table construction methods
- SAS on actuview (AI)
- The European Actuary No 30: Assessing the Cyber Security Risk (actuview)
- Insurance Thought Leadership: What to Do About Rising Inflation?
- Pension Expert: Inflation protection for pension scheme benefits
- CAS: In Focus 2022 Virtual Seminar call for presentations deadline 5th July
- IFoA: Sessional Meeting: Data and Modelling Considerations for mental health in life insurance 11th July
- SOA: Use of health and wellness data in L&H risk assessment 11th July (Facebook webcast)
- IFoA: Applying AI – From Concept to Practice 19th July
- SOA: Building Digital Platforms: Insurtechs, Carriers and Reinsurers Webcast 20th July
- IFoA: GIRO 2022 Call for Speakers deadline 27th July
- ECCB: ECCB Wins 2022 Central Banking Green Initiative Award
- WSJ: Green Energy’s Big Looming Problem Is Red Tape
- Barrons: Investors Were Asked to Save the World. They’re Turning Away
- World Bank: Building disaster resilience among the vulnerable
- WEForum: It’s not just climate change driving natural disaster losses
- CAS/CIA: 2022 Climate Risk Seminar 19th-21st July
- The Gleaner: Increased Monkeypox surveillance in St Lucia after airline crewmember tests positive
- BBC: Zika and dengue may make humans more attractive to mosquitoes
- COVID Actuaries: Excess Mortality in the USA
- AP: COVID vaccines saved 20M lives in 1st year, scientists say
- PubMed: Multiple diagnostic techniques identify previously vaccinated individuals with protective immunity against monkeypox
Thought for Today:
Just for Fun:
Save the Date:
- 57th Actuarial Research Conference 3rd-6th August
- ALPFA 2022 Convention 7th-10th August during which OLA will celebrate their 5th Anniversary
- IABA Annual Meeting: Reunited. Reignited 11th-13th August
- Convention A 19th-23rd September. Including four hours of content from Cathy Lyn and her Diversity team
- International Conference on Inclusive Insurance 24th-28th October, scheduled for Kingston, Jamaica.
- 2022 SOA ImpACT Conference 26th-28th October
CAA CONFERENCE 2022 – 7th-9th DECEMBER – BARBADOS
Scholarships & Bursaries:
- The CAA’s Stephen Alleyne Memorial Scholarship
- McLaughlins & Actuarial Foundation’s Caribbean Actuarial Scholarship
- Andrew Long, Norbert Fullerton & IFoA Foundation’s Fullerton-Long Caribbean Scholarship
- the Insurance Association of the Caribbean Scholarship
- Other UWI Scholarships & Bursaries
- Society of Actuaries and Casualty Actuarial Society Introduce Needs-Based Exam Reimbursement Pilot Program for Actuarial Candidates
- CAA Exam Refund Programme
Did you miss our recent webinars Climate Change: Emerging Risks and Opportunities and Social Security: What Lies Ahead? Watch them anytime on our YouTube Channel.
Early Bird Registration for The 2023 International Congress of Actuaries: Bridge to Tomorrow, which takes place in Sydney, Australia, is now open.
The IAA Bursary Congress Fund is available to provide some financial support facilitating the participation of interested candidates complying with the characteristics of the bursary selection process. Bursaries will be allocated at the discretion of the IAA Advice & Assistance ICA 2023 Bursary Task Force and may be for only part of the expected costs.
Your News Team: Mike, Pedro, Shubhash, Ashley & Betty
The information on this page does not necessarily reflect the opinions, standards or policies of the CAA. Data included in graphs has been obtained from several sources the accuracy of which cannot be guaranteed by the CAA. The CAA assumes no responsibility or liability for the accuracy or completeness of content contained in any linked site.