Recently, A CAA contingent, led by President Simone Brathwaite and Past President Kyle Rudden, attended the 6th African Actuarial Congress in Ghana. Videos of the Congress are available on ASG’s YouTube channel. Stokeley Smart, FSA, CAA member and senior lecturer at UWI St. Augustine, presented Beyond the Formulae – Incorporating Skill-Based Modelling & Analytics Content in Actuarial Courses, 42 minutes into the Day 2 recording.
Early Bird Registration for The 2023 International Congress of Actuaries: Bridge to Tomorrow, which takes place in Sydney, Australia, is now open.
Online CPD attestation for 2021 closes next month. All Ordinary, Affiliate and Associate Members of the Caribbean Actuarial Association are required to do Continuing Professional Development. Please read the entire CPD Policy here then complete your attestation by logging into the members’ area of our website and selecting the appropriate button from the menu on the left of your screen.
What else we’re watching & reading:
- Actuaries Digital (Aus): Consumer Data Right – A game changer for financial services? (Summary of Consumer Data Right session at the 2022 All-Actuaries Summit)
- SOA: Variable Uninsured (Value) Life Annuities – Theory, Practice and Country Cases
- KBRA: Long Time No See: What Inflation Might Mean for Insurers
- Loop: Barbados PM calls for reform of World Bank
- CARICOM: The UWI Seismic Research Centre cops global award for managing La Soufrière crisis
- McKinsey: Resilience for sustainable, inclusive growth
- CAS: In Focus 2022 Virtual Seminar call for presentations deadline 5th July
- SOA: How Should Long-Term Pension Assets be Invested? A Debate Webcast 30th June
- IFoA: Sessional Meeting: Data and Modelling Considerations for mental health in life insurance 11th July
- IFoA: Applying AI – From Concept to Practice 19th July
- SOA: Building Digital Platforms: Insurtechs, Carriers and Reinsurers Webcast 20th July
- IFoA: GIRO 2022 Call for Speakers deadline 27th July
20th of June was World Refugee Day. We are reminded every day of the plight of Ukrainian refugees but must not forget the crises in the Democratic Republic of Congo, Syria and so many other nations including our own neighbours, Haiti and, more recently, Venezuela.
The USA celebrates June as National Immigrant Heritage Month. Our Caribbean countries are also nations of immigrants who have all contributed to the diverse culture we are so proud of.
June is Pride Month
- Benefits Canada: Scotiabank marking Pride Month by increasing LGBTQ2S+ employee representation targets
- NBC: The tired corporate critique of Pride Month misses the point
- JSTOR: Transgender Legal Battles: A Timeline
- SOA: Authentic Conversations: The Importance of LGBTQ+ Representation and Allyship 28th June
- SAGAA: A LinkedIn Group for LGBTQ+ Actuaries and Allies
- CAS/CIA: 2022 Climate Risk Seminar 19th-21st June
- Time: What Extreme Heat Does to the Human Body
- Washington Post: Air pollution worse for global lifespan than cigarettes or alcohol
- KBRA: KBRA Launches Carbon Transition Risk Metrics— Carbon Quantum (KCQ) Ratios
- The Guardian: There is a war on nature. Dom Phillips was killed trying to warn you about it
- Loop: World’s biggest bacterium found in Caribbean mangrove swamp
- Science Daily: Targeting mosquito spit to halt Yellow Fever, Dengue and Zika
- STATISTA: Infection rates of viruses involved in outbreaks worldwide as of 2020
- Johns Hopkins: COVID-19 vs. the Flu
- Live Science: The deadliest viruses in history
Thought for Today:
Just for Fun:
Save the Date:
- 57th Actuarial Research Conference 3rd-6th August
- ALPFA 2022 Convention 7th-10th August during which OLA will celebrate their 5th Anniversary
- IABA Annual Meeting: Reunited. Reignited 11th-13th August
- Convention A 19th-23rd September. Including four hours of content from Cathy Lyn and her Diversity team
- International Conference on Inclusive Insurance 24th-28th October, scheduled for Kingston, Jamaica.
- 2022 SOA ImpACT Conference 26th-28th October
CAA CONFERENCE 2022 – 7th-9th DECEMBER – BARBADOS
Scholarships & Bursaries:
- The CAA’s Stephen Alleyne Memorial Scholarship
- McLaughlins & Actuarial Foundation’s Caribbean Actuarial Scholarship
- Andrew Long, Norbert Fullerton & IFoA Foundation’s Fullerton-Long Caribbean Scholarship
- the Insurance Association of the Caribbean Scholarship
- Other UWI Scholarships & Bursaries
- Society of Actuaries and Casualty Actuarial Society Introduce Needs-Based Exam Reimbursement Pilot Program for Actuarial Candidates
- CAA Exam Refund Programme
Did you miss our recent webinars Climate Change: Emerging Risks and Opportunities and Social Security: What Lies Ahead? Watch them anytime on our YouTube Channel.
The IAA Bursary Congress Fund is available to provide some financial support facilitating the participation of interested candidates complying with the characteristics of the bursary selection process. Bursaries will be allocated at the discretion of the IAA Advice & Assistance ICA 2023 Bursary Task Force and may be for only part of the expected costs.
Please visit our website and follow us on Facebook, LinkedIn YouTube and Instagram.
Your News Team: Mike, Pedro, Shubhash, Ashley & Betty
The information on this page does not necessarily reflect the opinions, standards or policies of the CAA. Data included in graphs has been obtained from several sources the accuracy of which cannot be guaranteed by the CAA. The CAA assumes no responsibility or liability for the accuracy or completeness of content contained in any linked site.