Statement from the Board of Directors of the Caribbean Actuarial Association:
- Seeing Beyond Risk (CIA): Pride Month 2022 (podcast)
- IFoA Blog: Pride Month: Providing access to an inclusive environment
- CAS on LinkedIn: Celebrating Pride
- SOA: Authentic Conversations: The Importance of LGBTQ+ Representation and Allyship 28th June
- SAGAA: A LinkedIn Group for LGBTQ+ Actuaries and Allies
Last week, A CAA contingent, led by President Simone Brathwaite and Past President Kyle Rudden, attended the 6th African Actuarial Congress in Ghana. More to come.
Did you miss our recent webinars Climate Change: Emerging Risks and Opportunities and Social Security: What Lies Ahead? Watch them anytime on our YouTube Channel.
IAA sections AFIR-ERM/ASTIN/CAS Colloquium takes place next week, 21st-24th June. CAA member Mike Smith will present Update on Actuarial Density and Actuarial Penetration on Day 2.
Early Bird Registration for The 2023 International Congress of Actuaries, Bridge to Tomorrow, which takes place in Sydney, Australia, is now open.
Online CPD attestation for 2021 closes next month. All Ordinary, Affiliate and Associate Members of the Caribbean Actuarial Association are required to do Continuing Professional Development. Please read the entire CPD Policy here then complete your attestation by logging into the members’ area of our website and selecting the appropriate button from the menu on the left of your screen.
What else we’re watching & reading:
- GARP: Global Practice Analysis Report 2021
- FAC: The Importance of Cybersecurity for Online Businesses in the Caribbean
- Zyber Global: The Spotlight Blog
- CAS Announces Details on New CAS Course on Data Analytics
- McKinsey: Hybrid work: Making it fit with your diversity, equity, and inclusion strategy
- OECD: Brazil Forum 20th-24th June
- CAS: How Actuaries Can Create a Pricing Framework Using Next Generation Technologies 21st June
- IFoA: Conference 2022 22nd-23rd June
- EAA: How to Read the New IFRS Balance Sheet for Insurers 23rd June
- OECD: Fourth Ministerial Summit on Productivity – Towards a productive, human-centred and sustainable integration in the world economy 23rd-24th June
- CAS: In Focus 2022 Virtual Seminar call for presentations deadline 5th July
- IFoA: GIRO 2022 Call for Speakers deadline 27th July
The Canadian Institute of Actuaries’ Annual Conference act22 closes today when Hélène Pouliot, who is also a CAA member, takes over as CIA President.
The International Conference on Inclusive Insurance 2022 will take place in Jamaica from 24th-28th October.
- UN: Today is World Day to Combat Desertification and Drought
- Seeing Beyond Risk (CIA): Cities and the brown-ocean effect
- Pensions Expert: Nearly a third of DB trustees think net zero ‘isn’t relevant’
- The Guardian: Revealed: the ‘carbon bombs’ set to trigger catastrophic climate breakdown
- The Atlantic: Plastic Recycling Doesn’t Work and Will Never Work
- CARPHA: Currently No Confirmed Cases of Monkeypox in its Member States
- STATISTA: Number of reported Dengue fever infection cases in the Caribbean in 2021, by country or territory
- UN: World must ‘speed up’ efforts to end AIDS pandemic by 2030
- CNBC: Diseases suppressed during Covid are coming back in new and peculiar ways
- Popular Science: It’s harder for kids with food allergies to catch COVID
- The Guardian: Mystery of Black Death’s origins solved, say researchers
Thought for Today:
- The Guardian: ‘Our country is getting old’: the man changing how Brazil sees dementia Is this the case in other developing nations, eg: those in the Caribbean?
Just for Fun:
- Reader’s Digest: Math Riddles
Save the Date:
- 57th Actuarial Research Conference 3rd-6th August
- ALPFA 2022 Convention 7th-10th August during which OLA will celebrate their 5th Anniversary
- IABA Annual Meeting: Reunited. Reignited 11th-13th August
- Convention A 19th-23rd September. Including four hours of content from Cathy Lyn and her Diversity team
- International Conference on Inclusive Insurance 24th-28th October, scheduled for Kingston, Jamaica.
- 2022 SOA ImpACT Conference 26th-28th October
CAA CONFERENCE 2022 – 7th-9th DECEMBER – BARBADOS
Scholarships & Bursaries:
- The CAA’s Stephen Alleyne Memorial Scholarship
- McLaughlins & Actuarial Foundation’s Caribbean Actuarial Scholarship
- Andrew Long, Norbert Fullerton & IFoA Foundation’s Fullerton-Long Caribbean Scholarship
- the Insurance Association of the Caribbean Scholarship
- Other UWI Scholarships & Bursaries
- Society of Actuaries and Casualty Actuarial Society Introduce Needs-Based Exam Reimbursement Pilot Program for Actuarial Candidates
- CAA Exam Refund Programme
The IAA Bursary Congress Fund is available to provide some financial support facilitating the participation of interested candidates complying with the characteristics of the bursary selection process. Bursaries will be allocated at the discretion of the IAA Advice & Assistance ICA 2023 Bursary Task Force and may be for only part of the expected costs.
Your News Team: Mike, Pedro, Shubhash, Ashley & Betty
The information on this page does not necessarily reflect the opinions, standards or policies of the CAA. Data included in graphs has been obtained from several sources the accuracy of which cannot be guaranteed by the CAA. The CAA assumes no responsibility or liability for the accuracy or completeness of content contained in any linked site.