Register Now for our Climate Risk lunchtime webinar: Emerging Risks and Opportunities on 6th June, the day after World Environment Day. #OnlyOneEarth Here’s a 5-minute introductory video.
You might also be interested in pursuing the IFoA’s Climate Risk and Sustainability Course.
As everyone in the region knows, we are now in Hurricane Season and the first storm is already coming off the Yucatan to potentially affect western Cuba, Florida and the Bahamas. As temperatures rise we can expect more and stronger storms.
- NOAA predicts above-normal 2022 Atlantic Hurricane Season
- IFoA: Study of Major Hurricanes and Subsequent Market Response Working Party
- SOA: Catastrophe & Climate
- IAA Climate related publications
- Actuaries Institute: IPCC’s 6th Assessment Reports and recent extreme weather events 15th June
- Actuaries Climate Index
What else we’re watching & reading:
- Actuaries Digital: The great actuarial resignation – is it upon us? And what can be done about it?
- Pensions Expert: Schemes can’t afford to continue neglecting data administration
- McKinsey: A little help from hybrid
- FAC: Economic Risk & Opportunity in the Caribbean
- IAIS: 2022 Global Seminar 16th-17th June (Croatia)
- CAS: How Actuaries Can Create a Pricing Framework Using Next Generation Technologies 21st June
- IAA: AFIR-ERM & ASTIN Colloquium21st-24th June
- IFoA: Conference 2022 22nd-23rd June
- OECD: Fourth Ministerial Summit on Productivity – Towards a productive, human-centred and sustainable integration in the world economy 23rd-24th June
The Canadian Institute of Actuaries’ Annual Conference act22 takes place from 16th to17th June. You are encouraged to attend and support Hélène Pouliot, who is also a CAA member, as she takes over as CIA President.
The Insurance Association of the Caribbean’s 40th Annual Conference will be face-to-face next month, 5th-7th June, in The Bahamas.
The International Conference on Inclusive Insurance 2022 will take place in Jamaica from 24th-28th October. A call for proposals is now open and we encourage members who are insurance actuaries to consider submitting proposals.
June is Pride Month:
- Actuaries Digital: Sex, gender and life insurance
- Oliver Wyman Named Top 100 LGBTQ+ Employer By Charity Stonewall
- Cambridge University Press: The Politics of LGBTQ Rights Expansion in Latin America and the Caribbean
- Travel Agent Central: The Most LGBT-Welcoming Caribbean Islands
- Our World in Data: Excess mortality during the Coronavirus pandemic
- WHO: Global excess deaths associated with COVID-19, January 2020 – December 2021
- The Lancet: Estimating excess mortality due to the COVID-19 pandemic: a systematic analysis of COVID-19-related mortality, 2020–21
- The Guardian: Monkeypox isn’t the disease we should be worried about
- CAS: Covid-19 and the Impact on the Insurance Industry 16th June
- The CAA’s Stephen Alleyne Memorial Scholarship
- McLaughlins & Actuarial Foundation’s Caribbean Actuarial Scholarship
- Andrew Long, Norbert Fullerton & IFoA Foundation’s Fullerton-Long Caribbean Scholarship
- the Insurance Association of the Caribbean Scholarship
- Other UWI Scholarships & Bursaries
- Society of Actuaries and Casualty Actuarial Society Introduce Needs-Based Exam Reimbursement Pilot Program for Actuarial Candidates
- CAA Exam Refund Programme
Thought for Today:
SAVE THE DATE: CAA CONFERENCE 2022 – 7th-9th DECEMBER – BARBADOS
- Convention A 19th-23rd September. Including four hours of content from Cathy Lyn and her Diversity team
- International Conference on Inclusive Insurance 24th-28th October, scheduled for Kingston, Jamaica.
- 2022 SOA ImpACT Conference 26th-28th October
Did you miss our seminar: Social Security: What Lies Ahead? Watch it now on our YouTube Channel.
Learn more about about our 6-week training programmme: Data Science for Actuaries
Online CPD attestation for 2021 is open. All Ordinary, Affiliate and Associate Members of the Caribbean Actuarial Association are required to do Continuing Professional Development. Please read the entire CPD Policy here then complete your attestation by logging into the members’ area of our website and selecting the appropriate button from the menu on the left of your screen.
IFoA Council Elections are open until 13th June. All members who qualify to vote in these elections are encouraged to do so. We note that two good friends of the CAA, Kudzai Chigiji and IIbrahim Muhanna, are both running for seats.
The 2023 International Congress of Actuaries, Bridge to Tomorrow, is taking place next year in Sydney, Australia More about ICA 2023 here.
The IAA Bursary Congress Fund is available to provide some financial support facilitating the participation of interested candidates complying with the characteristics of the bursary selection process. Bursaries will be allocated at the discretion of the IAA Advice & Assistance ICA 2023 Bursary Task Force and may be for only part of the expected costs.
Your News Team: Mike, Pedro, Shubhash & Betty
The information on this page does not necessarily reflect the opinions, standards or policies of the CAA. Data included in graphs has been obtained from several sources the accuracy of which cannot be guaranteed by the CAA. The CAA assumes no responsibility or liability for the accuracy or completeness of content contained in any linked site.