Registration is open for our Climate Change: Emerging Risks and Opportunities lunchtime webinar, 6th June, the day after World Environment Day. #OnlyOneEarth
SAVE THE DATE: CAA CONFERENCE 2022 – 7th-9th DECEMBER – BARBADOS
The Canadian Institute of Actuaries’ Annual Conference act22 takes place from 16th to17th June. You are encouraged to attend and support Hélène Pouliot, who is also a CAA member, as she takes over as CIA President.
The Insurance Association of the Caribbean’s 40th Annual Conference will be face-to-face next month, 5th-7th June, in The Bahamas.
The International Conference on Inclusive Insurance 2022 will take place in Jamaica from 24th-28th October. A call for proposals is now open and we encourage members who are insurance actuaries to consider submitting proposals.
May is Mental Health Awareness Month:
- UWI COVID-19 Task Force: Mental Health and Psychological Support
- MoHW (JM): Mental Health Awareness
- IFoA: Mental health: disrupting the vicious circle
- Mental Health America
- Forbes: In National Mental Health Awareness Month, What We Can All Do For The Mental Health Of College Students
What else we’re watching & reading:
- The Actuary (IFoA)
- The Actuary (SOA)
- Actuarial Review (CAS)
- De Actuaris (AG)
- The South African Actuary (ASSA)
- The Actuary India (IAI)
- Actuaries Digital (AI – Aus)
- IAIS: 2022 Global Seminar 16th-17th June (Croatia)
- CAS: How Actuaries Can Create a Pricing Framework Using Next Generation Technologies 21st June
- IAA: AFIR-ERM & ASTIN Colloquium 21st-2th June
- IFoA: Conference 2022 22nd-23rd June
- SOA: Catastrophe & Climate
- Climate Centre: UN: In 5 years, everyone on Earth must be protected by early warning for extreme weather, climate change
- The Guardian: ‘Potentially devastating’: Climate crisis may fuel future pandemics
- OECD: Fourth Ministerial Summit on Productivity – Towards a productive, human-centred and sustainable integration in the world economy 23rd-24th June
- IAA releases Climate Science: A Summary for Actuaries
- CARICOM: CARPHA Receives Support to Further Strengthen its Capacity to Address Infectious Diseases Surveillance and Response in Member States
- NY Times: Over 75 Percent of Long Covid Patients Were Not Hospitalized for Initial Illness, Study Finds
- SOA: COVID-19 and Insured Mortality: A Year Later 3rd June
- CAS: Covid-19 and the Impact on the Insurance Industry 16th June
- Reuters Coronavirus Tracker: Latin America & The Caribbean
Monkeypox was first identified about 40 years ago in Central and West Africa. Symptoms are similar to chicken pox and it is transmitted similarly, through close contact. BBC: Monkeypox cases investigated in Europe, US, Canada and Australia
- The CAA’s Stephen Alleyne Memorial Scholarship
- McLaughlins & Actuarial Foundation’s Caribbean Actuarial Scholarship
- Andrew Long, Norbert Fullerton & IFoA Foundation’s Fullerton-Long Caribbean Scholarship
- Society of Actuaries and Casualty Actuarial Society Introduce Needs-Based Exam Reimbursement Pilot Program for Actuarial Candidates
Thought for Today:
Take A Break:
Save the Date:
- Convention A 19th-23rd September. Including four hours of content from Cathy Lyn and her Diversity team
- International Conference on Inclusive Insurance 24th-28th October, scheduled for Kingston, Jamaica.
- 2022 SOA ImpACT Conference 26th-28th October
Did you miss our seminar: Social Security: What Lies Ahead? Watch it now on our YouTube Channel.
Learn more about about our 6-week training programme: Data Science for Actuaries
Online CPD attestation for 2021 is open. All Ordinary, Affiliate and Associate Members of the Caribbean Actuarial Association are required to do Continuing Professional Development. Please read the entire CPD Policy here then complete your attestation by logging into the members’ area of our website and selecting the appropriate button from the menu on the left of your screen.
IFoA Council Elections are open until 13th June. All members who qualify to vote in these elections are encouraged to do so. We note that two good friends of the CAA, Kudzai Chigiji and IIbrahim Muhanna, are both running for seats.
The 2023 International Congress of Actuaries, Bridge to Tomorrow, is taking place next year in Sydney, Australia. Those of you who have been hoping to present at this premier event must submit your abstracts by 31st March 2022. Good Luck! More about ICA 2023 here.
The IAA Bursary Congress Fund is available to provide some financial support facilitating the participation of interested candidates complying with the characteristics of the bursary selection process. Bursaries will be allocated at the discretion of the IAA Advice & Assistance ICA 2023 Bursary Task Force and may be for only part of the expected costs.
SOA Actuarial Science Early Career Award. The early career award is intended to encourage researchers to contribute to the field of actuarial science and to set examples of excellent actuarial research in colleges and universities. Submissions close on 31st May.
Your News Team: Mike, Pedro, Shubhash & Betty
The information on this page does not necessarily reflect the opinions, standards or policies of the CAA. Data included in graphs has been obtained from several sources the accuracy of which cannot be guaranteed by the CAA. The CAA assumes no responsibility or liability for the accuracy or completeness of content contained in any linked site.