We were unable to publish last Friday due to technical difficulties but could not miss a dedicated post for, after all, Earth Day is a movement, not just a day!
Friday 22nd April was EARTH DAY 2022: #InvestInOurPlanet
How can actuaries Invest in Our Planet, both as a profession and as individuals? Aren’t we perfectly placed to help lead the charge? Here’s the investment made by one of our members.
Please share other stories about actuaries you know who are Investing in Our Planet.
You’re sure to find at least two or three articles that IMPACT YOU among the wide selection offered this week.
What actuaries and regional organisations are doing:
- Actuaries Climate Index
- IAA Climate Publications & Webinars
- UWI Climate Action Portal
- The Caribbean Community Climate Change Centre
Here are some CAA Climate Action recordings from our past conferences:
- Achieving a Greener, Smarter, Fairer Recovery and Resilience – Moving from Talk to Action
- ESG and Insurers: The Green Insurer
- Solarpunk, Climate Risk and the New Actuary
- Managing Climate Risk
- Climate Change and Its (Large) Impact on Caribbean Resources
Stay tuned for our Green Forum on World Environment Day, 5th June!
Earth Day Climate Action Summit: Nature in the Race to Zero (3+ hrs on YouTube)
The Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change’s (IPCC) latest Report, Climate Change 2022: Mitigation of Climate Change, offers solutions. You can download summaries, chapters or the entire Report.
- IMF: Climate Change Indicators Dashboard
- KBRA Launches Carbon Transition Risk Metrics – Carbon Quantum (KCQ) Ratios
- National Academy of Science (USA): Biodiversity impacts and conservation implications of urban land expansion projected to 2050
- JPMorgan Chase: Sustainability
- OECD work on climate and health
- Financial Times: Climate graphic of the week: Clean energy pushes ahead of coal (subscription)
This writer’s personal focus is PLASTIC. Plastic has so many lifechanging and lifesaving uses BUT that percentage is infinitesimal compared to what is thrown away. About 79% of plastic produced annually ends up in landfills and our oceans.
- National Geographic: Planet or Plastic project
- The Atlantic: The World Has One Big Chance to Fix Plastics
- Discover Your Plastic Footprint
Sometimes it just can’t be avoided: 86,000 bottles of water on the wall: Tonga struggles with post-volcano waste problem but could international aid agencies expand to include recycling plants or other follow-up?
- ASHK and IAALS/PBSS Colloquium: Global Pandemic – Beyond the New Normal 27th-28th April
- IAA ICA 2023 Bursary Fund
Save the Date: Convention A 19th-23rd September. Includes four hours of content from Cathy Lyn and her Diversity team
Your News Team: Mike, Pedro, Shubhash & Betty
The views expressed above are those of the authors and do not necessarily reflect the opinions, standards or policies of the CAA. The CAA assumes no responsibility or liability for the accuracy or completeness of content contained in any linked site.