Our webinar last Wednesday was a great success with attendees from among our membership, the banking community and other non-actuaries and non-bankers. We heard from actuaries working in the banking sector in the Caribbean and South Africa as well as several other engaging speakers. The full recording of Episode 12 Diversity of Thought: Opportunities for Actuaries in Banking will shortly be available on actuview.
In the meantime, you might enjoy Diversity of Thought Episode 11: Disruptions in the Banking System
Last Sunday’s webinar geared towards Actuarial Students was also very successful. Attendees included not only students from regional high schools and universities but some from outside the region. The recording will soon be available on our YouTube channel.
Registration is open for Social Security: What Lies Ahead on Thursday, 21st April at 2:00pm EST presented by our Social Security Committee.
The SOA, for the month of March, presented the series: Thanks Leadership Series – Celebration of Women’s History Month. Videos from the CAA’s President Elect Judy Veira and Board Member Nicola Barrett are included.
Also in celebration of Women’s History Month, the IAA broadcast an interview with CAA Founding President Daisy McFarlane Coke, OJ, OM. Hon. Daisy was interviewed by IAA Executive Committee Member and CAA Past President Lisa Wade.
What else we’re watching & reading:
- KBRA: Long Time No See: What Inflation Might Mean for Insurers
- OECD: The Strategic and Responsible Use of Artificial Intelligence in the Public Sector of Latin America and the Caribbean
- IMF Weekend: Capital Flows | Employment and Inflation | Conflict and Commodities | Dollar’s Diminishing Dominance | Crypto and Corruption
- IABA: 2022 Annual Meeting Preview
- CAS: 2022 CLRS – Call for Presentations deadline 22nd April
- Financial Times: DB and DC Pensions Management Summit 28th April
- ASHK and IAALS/PBSS Colloquium: Global Pandemic – Beyond the New Normal 27th-28th April
- Actuarial Foundation: Formula 2022 Virtual Gala 12th May
- TASK: Practical Implications of ESG Risk (recording)
Save the Date:
- Convention A 19th-23rd September. Including four hours of content from Cathy Lyn and her Diversity team.
- International Conference on Inclusive Insurance 24th-28th October, scheduled for Kingston, Jamaica. Call for Papers.
- Bloomberg: Net-Zero Plans of the Biggest Global Companies Do Not Add Up to Net Zero
- Euro News: A single change in Bitcoin’s coding could reduce its carbon footprint by 99%, say campaigners
- NPR: Misinformation is derailing renewable energy projects across the United States
- The Guardian: Microplastics found in human blood for first time
- IFRS Foundation and GRI to align capital market and multi-stakeholder standards to create an interconnected approach for sustainability disclosures
- IAA releases Climate Science: A Summary for Actuaries incl webinar on 13th April
- LinkedIn: The changing role of actuaries in post- COVID world
- Actuaries Digital: COVID reflections – the Long COVID special
- SOA: Impact of Covid-19 on Retirement Webcast 19th May
- NY Times: Trying to Solve a Covid Mystery: Africa’s Low Death Rates
- New York: What a Single Metric Tells Us About the Pandemic
Thought for Today:
The Guardian: Sites reported record 29.3m child abuse images in 2021
Online CPD attestation for 2021 is open. All Ordinary, Affiliate and Associate Members of the Caribbean Actuarial Association are required to do Continuing Professional Development. Please read the entire CPD Policy here then complete your attestation by logging into the members’ area of our website and selecting the appropriate button from the menu on the left of your screen.
The 2023 International Congress of Actuaries, Bridge to Tomorrow, is taking place next year in Sydney, Australia. Those of you who have been hoping to present at this premier event must submit your abstracts by 31st March 2022. Good Luck! More about ICA 2023 here.
SOA Actuarial Science Early Career Award. The early career award is intended to encourage researchers to contribute to the field of actuarial science and to set examples of excellent actuarial research in colleges and universities. Submissions close on 31st May.
Your News Team: Shubhash, Mike, Pedro & Betty
The information on this page does not necessarily reflect the opinions, standards or policies of the CAA. Data included in graphs has been obtained from several sources the accuracy of which cannot be guaranteed by the CAA. The CAA assumes no responsibility or liability for the accuracy or completeness of content contained in any linked site.